Monday, May 30, 2005

Short visit today for Mike

Mike here.

Our visit seemed terribly short for me today, because I spent much of what little time we had with Mia before it was time to go off to the "sauna" with Sveta, running paperwork errands. I didn't even take any good pictures of little Bacca.

We learned the other day that there are, in fact, a lot of German-speaking people in Kokshetau, because many Germans were relocated to Kazakhstan during the war. Today, I walked into the bank across the street to get smaller bills (all I had was a 5000 Tenge note -- seldom used here), and the guard at the door immediately waved over the guy who spoke German. They both recognized me from a couple of days ago. Heh. The only disadvantage to being able to speak German in a situation like this is that I had to be creative when he started asking me what we were doing here, where we were staying, etc. I said we were tourists, and visiting friends.

Including today, we have exactly one week left as a three-person family. Whoa. We're going a little stir-crazy right now, and addition of the little monster should at least break up the monotony. See below for Linda's post, and pictures.

Finally, I just want to add that we really, really appreciate the comments that people post to our blog, or the emails they send us. Have I mentioned that we're going a little stir-crazy? Well, any correspondence is very, very welcome -- even little one-liners from people telling us they read something we wrote is a gem.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There! I've been following your journey to get Mia and loving every word of it. She and Tucker are such cuties. We are also a WPA family. Our son is from Uralsk and we travelled around the same time you got Tucker. Thanks for sharing your trip to get Mia. Best wishes!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Tucker: Here is a funny riddle for you. Why does a spider make a good baseball player? Because he catches flies! Have fun getting to know your new sister, we can't wait to meet her. Love, cousins Brooke and Jackson

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, Mike, Tucker and Mia,

I am loving following the stories of your journey together. I went back and read your spot about being "low key" out in public. It must be very difficult for you. Having been a foreigner in a foreign country, I can empathasize with your situation (though I didn't have kids involved and I imagine that multiplies everything). Thanks for investing your time and energy into this diary! I love it.

Be safe and we can't wait to meet the newest member of your family.

Kris McVey

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home