Friday, June 03, 2005

One More Visit

Linda Here

One more visit. Yes, only one more visit to the Baby House. Tucker has been counting down. He is very good at it. Two years ago on court day was a very emotional time for me. I cried on the walk out of the Baby House carrying Tucker in my arms who immediately fell asleep on the car ride to the airport.

Tomorrow we get pics developed for court and Monday is court day. Bacha seems ready to come home with us as Tucker was. I am so glad.

Bacha repeats everything I say. I don't think she will have a problem with English after the first few weeks. On the swing today today she asked me in Russian to push her I waited until she repeated "mama push". It didn't take long. I am curious about what her first English word will be on her own.

I visited the orphanage in Kokshetau today. Mike stayed at the Baby House with Bacha and Tucker. Sveta asked if I would take a few pictures of available children. Mike did not want me to go. I of course really wanted to go. The orphanage is in a building attached to the local public school which the children attend. The children live in groups which are like little families. The ages in the group vary. The orphanage has been there only about 5 years. The sibling group I photographed has been there for those 5 years. The older child girl is now 15. They are beautiful children. I wish we had a bigger house. I also photographed a little blond girl whose sister is at the Baby House. Mike took the photos of 3 children at the Baby House.

The thoughts and feelings I have for the "waiting" children I can't begin to write. The children in the baby house feel they will be adopted, In their minds they are waiting. If they haven't been adopted by the time they turn 4 or 5 they move to a different facility and their hope wanes.

The facilities for these children are soviet style buildings - a bit crumbly but they are kept clean and the staff at the facilities I have visited seem wonderful. The facilities I have seen are the Baby House in Tchuchinsk, Kokshetau children's shelter and the orphanage in Tchuchinsk.

I have to wait hours to get to this, MY computer, as Mike has lots to write. I can't complain, he is doing an excellent job of documenting this trip for us and especially Tucker and Bacha. We love reviewing the days events with Tucker whether through pictures, stories or yes, through Luke Skywalker adventures.

2 Comments:

Blogger karen love mathieu said...

Thank you for your overview of the orphanage. I will have a broader perspective of the area when I visit.

Sasha will be 4 on June 15th so your mention of the childrens' timeline hits very close to home. I am so looking forward for his future with us and that he will not be sent to the older kids orphanage.

One more day for you!

Best Wishes;

Karen

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so great to be able to share the adventure as it unfolds. I just recently realized I could post comments. I am glad it is all coming together so well. It is great that Tucker and Bacha are getting along so well. Of course you can expect a few bumps in the road ahead (attempt at humor). Good luck on Court day. It is all very exciting. You know interacting with people in a foreign country is one of life's greatest adventures. I Know you will have so many stories to tell. We look forward to seeing the new family of four when you return. Oh Linda, I do expect you to crochet some red hats. I hope you can find some red yarn.
Love, Don and Lisa

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home